Wednesday 14 January 2015

Serial


Now I may be a little late to mention this, as I know lots of people who have heard this already, but if you like a bit of crime fiction (as I do) or even true crime, then I feel the need to tell you about this here on my blog.  It's the Serial podcast which is available online and you can download it on iplayer (so I'm told) or listen on your pc or kindle fire (as I did).  If you click on the link it will take you straight to it.  The story is this:

It's Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon. But someone can. A classmate at Woodlawn High School says she knows where Adnan was. The trouble is, she’s nowhere to be found.

It's a 12 part series, which was originally broadcast weekly and tells the true story of the murder of student Hae in 1999.  It's a compelling tale, which features transcripts from the case and the trial of Adnan, an ex-boyfriend who was charged with her death.

The question is, did he do it, could he have done it, and if he didn't, who did?  Sarah Koenig has the evidence and sets out to see if it holds out, and she makes some interesting discoveries along the way.

Each section is around about 45 minutes long and it makes fantastic listening.  I won't say anymore about it because I don't want my opinion to spoil listening for others, except to say that there should be another series of Serial coming out this year!  I'll definitely be tuning in.

Happy Reading

Miss Chapter x

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious to know what you thought about the ending of the podcast. It was super-well produced and raised a lot of questions. I'm definitely game for season 2, but I think they have some ethical questions to address as they move forward as well. http://joshuarigsby.com/2015/01/14/thoughts-on-serial-season-1-a-podcast-post-mortem/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!