Friday 11 July 2014

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret

Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Published by Macmillan's Childrens
20th August 2010
Paperback Edition

 


Life isn't easy for Margaret. She's moved away from her childhood home, she's starting a new school, finding new friends – and she's convinced she's not normal. For a start she hasn't got a clue whether she wants to be Jewish like her father or Christian like her mother. Everyone else seems really sure of who they are. And, worst of all, she's a 'late developer'. She just knows that all her friends are going to need a bra before she does. It's too embarrassing to talk to her parents about these things. So she talks to God instead - and waits for an answer . . .


Oh me, oh my, Judy Blume's classic book Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret is 45 years old!  I remember reading this when I was a teenager, along with the ever remembered Forever and having just re-read it, it's still as relevant as ever.  Though Margaret has been through some image changes since then!
 
 

Margaret is twelve, and has just moved house with her parents.  Making new friends in a new school is just the start of her problems, growing-up carries with it a whole host of issues, and well, in her case, religion is just one of them.  Oh, and then there's her Grandma - who Margaret just can't bear to be without.
 
 

Despite it's age, some things have never changed and growing up is one of them.  The characters in Are you there, God? could just as easily have been written today instead of in 1969.  I loved reading it the first time round, and now at 40, I loved reading it again.  Margaret will forever be twelve while the rest of us grow up around her but the memories are still as fresh as ever.  My girls will definitely be introduced to Margaret, and her friends, just as soon as they are old enough!


 
 
 
Happy Reading

Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!